Thursday, September 22, 2011

Why is my car drinking more gas than usual?

Okay, so I'm usually good at researching but I think I'm going a little more specific and hope someone can give me definite possibilities why my car is drinking more gas than usual. I suspected it may be %26quot;watered down%26quot; gas, but I have been going to the same gas station for a very long time and had no problems till now. My story is: I took it to a place down the street for an oil chance and I was told I need a cleaning in my fuel injectors to get my mpg back up as if it was new. BEFORE the oil change visit, gas was steady for a long time, now the needle drops a line or two going only 3 miles home from the gas station. So unless these guys did something, all I can think of is that the float is acting up or it maybe just %26quot;watered down%26quot; gas all of a sudden. So any tricks besides a cleaning, or if there was a scam, how can I resolve it? Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it. Additional info if it can help: 2006 Nissan Altima 3.5SE V6, 44K miles, and a dirty air filter (which is another theory). Thanks again! :)Why is my car drinking more gas than usual?
That isn't very many miles on your engine so I can't think that you should have any serious problem.



Use as much of the gas in the tank as you can before filling it up and adding a good brand fuel injector cleaner. I assume you are using premium grade fuel, that is what is recommended for that engine. Check your air filter and see if it needs replaced. You can do that easily enough yourself.Why is my car drinking more gas than usual?
Thanks! I'll take a look at it.

Report Abuse