Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Registering an out of State car in Clark County Nevada?

I have a 1982 Mercedes-Benz 300SD turbo-diesel. In Clark county an annual smog check is required for this vehicle. How difficult is this test? A read on the DMV website that they will do a dyno test in conjunction with putting a probe in the tailpipe. Is this kind of car known for doing poorly in these kinds of tests? I realize the car has a lower standard than newer cars. I also noticed there weren't very many old Mercedes Diesels in Las Vegas compared to where I'm coming from. Could this mandatory smog test be a real problem for me? It's not like there is much to repair on this car if it fails. There is no Catalytic converter, no spark plugs and associated wires, no points and rotors, no O2 sensor. Probably the only thing they can do to improve it is an air filter change, valve adjustment, and new fuel injectors. But all of those things are perfectly fine right now. So should I be worried? Could the fact that there are no cars like this in Las Vegas be an indicator that the smog tests are too severe?Registering an out of State car in Clark County Nevada?
I don't know about smog, but I know in my state they do emissions tests. cars that are old do not have to pass an emissions test. double check to see if you're required to do a smog test since the car is so old before you worry about it