Wednesday, September 14, 2011

My "Service Engine Soon" light comes on!!?

Hey everyone. I have a '92 Saturn SL1 that has a few minor problems.



When I accelerate to roughly 40mph my service engine light comes on. I've never seen this before, and it seems to come on more frequently now than before. It also comes on when I am stopped at a light, but it comes and goes.



The car might need a tune up, I don't know when the last guy who had it got one. I don't know about the spark plugs, but the hoses look brand new, so I can only assume they were changed recently, but you never know, so I will get it done again if need be. I've done a fuel injector cleaning, and changed my oil. Tires are brand new, no squealing on my brakes.



The mileage gauge on my car doesn't work as well. Could this be triggering the engine code by any chance? If not, how do I get it going again? It's a six gauge, so I know it hasn't been turned back. Maybe I just need to reconnect something behind the dash? I don't know.



I also have 3 power window motors that fail to work. I highly doubt this is the problem, being as they are not affiliated with the car's computer, but I could be wrong.



The car is also a tad bit shaky while stopped at lights and such. I put it new diluted antifreeze/coolant, and the temp gauge is always in the middle now, but the car is still a little rumbly. It's very minor, but I want to get it running smooth again. Could it be just cause it is such an old model now? A 16 year old car is an old car.



I am gonna go take it in for a free diagnostic at auto zone in a few days, but I just thought I might try to get a heads up here. Diagnostics tend to be pretty vague as far as knowing what exactly to fix, and I don't want to waste money on a tune up, etc., if I don't need to.



Thanks, Ken.My %26quot;Service Engine Soon%26quot; light comes on!!?
To eliminate all guess work, take the vehicle to AUTO-ZONE they will check for the code, tell you the problem,turn off the light. And they do all this for 'FREE'





BRILLIANT%26quot;!!!!!My %26quot;Service Engine Soon%26quot; light comes on!!?
Could be anything from a blown O(2) sensor to exhaust problems. Look at your owner's manual. My old car used to have the engine light go on if the control panel got wet. (It was a very snowy winter that year.) It also came on when I had those other issues. The engine light comes on for a lot of things.My %26quot;Service Engine Soon%26quot; light comes on!!?
sounds like you might need your computer reprogramed at a diagnostic service station,there are may reasons to why a service engine light may come on, even a gas cap that is not properly tightened or a gas cap that does not belong to the car may cause the service light to come on. Your

problem reminds me of a Dodge Ram my sister owned at on time with the speedometer and all the gauges not functioning, I brought it into a shop I worked at and reprogramed the computer system. All was well after, So reprograming is what I would recommend on a vehicle such as yours...