Thursday, September 22, 2011

How do I replace the fuel filter on a van that won't start?

I have a 2000 mercury villager. Yesterday it stalled out on me and now it won't start, but it still cranks. Pretty sure its not the fuel pump because I can here it running when I turn the key to the on position. Spark plugs where replaced a couple of months ago. so I think it's either the filter or injectors. I'd like to try replacing the filter first since it's cheaper and easier but the one diy site i found that outlined how to change it stressed that you must relieve the pressure by starting the engine then pulling the spark plug for the fuel pump. Kinda hard to do when the car wont start???any suggestions?



thanksHow do I replace the fuel filter on a van that won%26039;t start?
I dont think its the fuel filterHow do I replace the fuel filter on a van that won%26039;t start?
my fuel filter on my car was clogged up so it was making my car sputter and almost stall. My filter is where I can see it and clear so I could see the sediment in it and knew to replace it. Can you do that with your car? I know some cars have theirs hidden way or where you cant see thru them...... My bf's car was doing the same thing, he replaced the filter but a week later it stalled and wouldnt crank. His was the fuel pump. Think it might be clogged and just trying to run instead of running properly?How do I replace the fuel filter on a van that won%26039;t start?
it don,t hardly sound like the fuel. usually when a filter goes bad it will spit and sputter before it dies. you might want to check the spark at the plugs. i,am thinking it might be the coil or the module.