Thursday, September 22, 2011

What is the tapping sound coming from my engine ?

I got a VW Golf (MK 3) 1.9 TDI.It is producing wiered tapping sound (Like an old Tractor) when i push the accelrator.Some times it goes off and the engine runs smoothly and some time while running smoothly it starts this noise again.The engine does white smoke when this sound is coming.

I checked the cam Shaft(it is beautiful),timing belt,flushed ,serviced the engine,fuel injectors,running the engine with out power steering n alternator running but doest affect that much.

I think it is Engine oil lifter pump (planning to change it,one mechanic also suggested this),Also waana know how a faulty valve makes sound or is there any other problems.



Got any ideas (Looking forward for responces)What is the tapping sound coming from my engine ?
If it was a big end or small end you would hear the noise most of the time, if it has hydraulic tappets these can cause a noise, if faulty, this can also be caused by lack of oil, or oil pressure, (only replace in complete sets), the white smoke is not a normal diesel emission, blue smoke indicates engine oil, black excessive diesel, a bent or sticking valve will allow excess clearance between the cam follower and the camshaft, as will a u/s hyd tappet, have you broken a belt or had one incorrectly fitted causing this? have the injectors been tested to see that they still atomise correctly.What is the tapping sound coming from my engine ?
Doesn't sound good, especially if you have the belt off the ps and alt. Check for oil pressure with a gauge before you waste time changing out a part that is good.What is the tapping sound coming from my engine ?
The tapping sound is an alien inside it, trying to get out because you have trapped the poor thing inside :( It way plot revenge if you let him out but I guess thats just a thing you'll have to deal with when you trap aliens. There are consequences to trapping aliens, you know.What is the tapping sound coming from my engine ?
it sounds like the rocker arms are in need of an adjustment. The rocker arms will get worn out and will have a gap between the rocker arm and valve stem. Thus the rocker arm will snap agaist the valve stem vreating a click or metal to metal sound. I wouldnt worry about it. its not going to hurt anything unless it gets loader or it starts to knock. Dont waste your money on a oil pump.What is the tapping sound coming from my engine ?
Oh No, an engine knock....

thats bad, you might need to rebuild a burnt out cylinder ring, that fixed mine.



White smoke is not a sign of anything, all the cars in my family do it, if it turns blueish though, there is a problem.What is the tapping sound coming from my engine ?
Wasn't that pre '96? Diesels were still pretty noisy then, that was the second reason no-one wanted them after the lack of nip, could be normal, can't compare to modern versions.What is the tapping sound coming from my engine ?
your mech is right but you need yo do it asap before complete failure that would be bad!!!!What is the tapping sound coming from my engine ?
My first thought was a sticking valveWhat is the tapping sound coming from my engine ?
Maybe your tappets need a adjusting.What is the tapping sound coming from my engine ?
Sounds like the camshaft is worn. I had this on my Ford - spit spit wash my mouth out - and it was wear on the camshaft. Did I care ? No it was a Company car.

Take the oil filler cap off and listen if it comes from there it is definitely the camshaft.

This was due to poor oil supply to the camshaft which Ford rectified evenually..

RoySWhat is the tapping sound coming from my engine ?
The knocking is likely just severe diesel knock. All diesel, as you know have a distinctive sound.



Combustion problems caused by faulty injectors, compression problems -Worn rings, head gasket allowing water in to cylinder etc, incorrect timings, engine management issues or engine lube oil entering the induction air circuit can all cause smoke and sever knock.



I've known engines replaced when all that was needed was a 拢30 injector.