Wednesday, September 14, 2011

What's making my gf's car act like it's running out of gas?

Don't say b/c it is. My gf has a 99 altima, now ever since she's had it the engine light has been on, the code is it needs an o2 sensor, to my knowledge this won't effect the driving at all.



She can be driving and it sputters as if it's running out of gas, what's weird is it might not do it for a day or two then bam it's doing again. And it doesn't do it at idle. I was thinking maybe the plugs had oil on them causing misfire, they were dry, I replaced them anyway. I changed the fuel filter about 25k ago. I'm thinking the injectors could be dirty, but wouldn't it run crappy all the time not just sporadically.



How would a faultering mass airflow sensor effect a vehicle's performance?



If the converter was clogged would the car sometimes act up like how I've described.



Any ideas from any shade tree mechanics, or altima owners who've experienced similar malfunctions I'd be thrilled to hear from you! Give me a hollar! Thank you.What%26039;s making my gf%26039;s car act like it%26039;s running out of gas?
The car will act up if the o2 sensor is faulty and due to the cat converter getting over heated the whole exhaust system could over heat and engine and the cat could start to burn internally or clog.So if she's been driving it awhile like that I highly recommend that you not just replace the o2 sensor with a factory recommend part but also either change the cat converter with a new one or buy a good used one from a wreckers and have it installed for 20 to 50 bucks for you or do it yourself if you've the proper tools and know how.



Hope that helps and best of luck.By the way most codes are related to emissions systems etc and are vital to how the over all engine will run or function at different speeds or temperatures etc.What%26039;s making my gf%26039;s car act like it%26039;s running out of gas?
The O2 sensor WILL affect the way engine runs.... change the sensor!! Also scan the computer for more codes.... I had many vehicles that the O2 sensors went bad, after I changed them the car ran like new....What%26039;s making my gf%26039;s car act like it%26039;s running out of gas?
%26quot;the code is it needs an o2 sensor, to my knowledge this won't effect the driving at all.%26quot;



A quick bit of advice - take some auto shop courses BEFORE ever expressing any knowledge about anything automotive again.



Trust the codes - they are correct 99% of the time.What%26039;s making my gf%26039;s car act like it%26039;s running out of gas?
stampy is correct... and also you mentioned the mass air flow sensor, which will give the engine a sputtering effect if it is messed up. replacing an o2 sensor is relatively easy, replacing a mass air sensor can be an expensive part. have it diagnosed properly before you throw that at it. but the o2 sensor is a good place to start, especially if it throws a code. codes are not there just to be ignored.What%26039;s making my gf%26039;s car act like it%26039;s running out of gas?
the o2 sensor and the mass flow sensor if gone bad, wont tell the car how much air to mix in with the fuel. so by not replacing the o2 sensor then you arent getting the right air/fuel ratio, my advice is to change the o2 sensors and like people said above, check the spark plugs, those may be going out due to this problem.What%26039;s making my gf%26039;s car act like it%26039;s running out of gas?
i aint never fooled wit any altima but you need to do what the codes say an change th o2 sensor... an about the injector if you thing that there not performing like they shoul be go to you local auto parts store or walmart an buy a bottel of stp injector cleaner.... an bout the cat convertor if it was stoped up they usually dont run an all... an if that air flow sensor anit working right it wont run....