Wednesday, September 14, 2011

How Many Vaccum Hoses in GMC Jimmy? Is this Mechanic At Fault?

Hi!



A few days ago I brought my 1996 GMC Jimmy into a mechanic recommended by my bf. My truck started stalling out at stop lights and idling really rough the night before and the check engine light came on. Before bringing it in I had the oil, air filter, and fuel filter changed.



The guy did an Engine Scan for codes ($68.95), Pinpoint Diagnostic Tests ($68) and determined it was running lean... which I thought was pretty obvious. He told me it was the Vac Hose which he replaced and the part and labor was $40. Totaling $198 with tax.



I took my truck right to work and didn't really hit any stops, when I left work late that night (I work in a restaurant as a 2nd job) it was obvious it was still screwed up, still stalling at stops. I did not drive it all weekend and called the mechanic on Monday. He said he was really busy but I could bring it by. It was not idling as rough and I decided I would run fuel injector cleaner through it first. Yesterday it was still stalling so I brough it into a different shop this morning, where I know the man personally. He fixed it and when I went to get it he told me it was the vac hose! I told him that is what the first garage fixed and he said this one was so rotted that when they lifted the hood they could hear the air and it was the hose was rotted and had all kinds of holes. Cost me $39.50. It's driving fine now.





Obviously, I'm bummed I paid the other guy $200 and didn't get my problem fixed. Are there multiple vac hoses? Could the guy have replaced the wrong one? Should I go back and show the first mechanic my receipt and ask him what the deal is?How Many Vaccum Hoses in GMC Jimmy? Is this Mechanic At Fault?
Tes there are many vacuum hoses on your Jimmy. The 1st guy should have heard it and should give you some kinda refund. If he does not tell him you will be calling the BBB to report him and then call them and be done with it. It really don't take all that scanning for a vacuum hose. They are very loud and any decent mechanic would realize what the problem was.How Many Vaccum Hoses in GMC Jimmy? Is this Mechanic At Fault?
I would go back for sure with both bills and show him. He charged an awful lot for an awful little, and vacuum hoses don't just go bad that fast.