Wednesday, September 14, 2011

How do I know if I need a new fuel filter?

My 2002 Camry hasn't been starting as easy after it's been out in the sun all day while I'm at work. Fuel injector cleaner did no good. Idles fine. Didn't know if there's a way to know if it's the fuel filter or fuel pump going out. It starts fine in the mornings after it's been in the garage all night. Oil change place said they couldn't change it due to its location and I'd have to go to a Toyota dealer. Trying to save money. Plus, don't want to pay big bucks if it's something else. Any ideas?How do I know if I need a new fuel filter?
Toyota fuel filters on fuel injected vehicles are recommended to be replaced at 60,000 miles unless you got a bunch of trash in your fuel from a bad load of gas. Most fuel injector cleaner you buy over the counter does no good. To properly clean the injectors you need to use a pressurized cleaner and disconnect the fuel system. Most reputable repair facilities can do this. Does it have a longer crank time? Does it blow black smoke from the tailpipe when it finally starts? Is the check engine light on? A reputable repair shop can test it and save you money in the long run.How do I know if I need a new fuel filter?
You will start getting low milage per gal and you might also start having trouble with the engine not running smooth and skipping cause the injectors are starved fpr fuel. most filters are mounted under the car on the rail....some are attached to the gas tank ... and some are in the gas tank itself. Call your local Autozone and the can look it up on Z net for you.....How do I know if I need a new fuel filter?
If you car hasn't had a new one in 15K miles you need one.





All you have to do is take out the fuse for the fuel pump and try to start the car to relieve fuel pressure (fuel injected cars have over 30psi of fuel in the lines, not a good idea to take the hoses off like that. Then you take off the fuel hoses, I do the top one first so if all goes well whats left in the lines goes down not in my face. However if the filter has been on there for more than 15K miles the lines will likely be hard to pry off the filter and you may get a little in your face, then you just run to the bathroom and wash your face. Take the filter off of the lower fuel line, put one in that you can buy at autozone for $10- and tighten down the hose clamps, put the fuse back in and fire it up.



Bam! Fuel filter changed for $10.



I doubt your starting problem is your fuel filter though, I'd blame the starter or something else of that nature.