Thursday, September 22, 2011

Fuel questions for 91 civic 1.5 liter?

My civic is getting worse. I know enough about engines to be dangerous. When the problem started I suspected an old ignition system so I changed everything.. cap, rotor, wires and plugs. No changes.

What it does is if you drive at a constant speed it stutters and loses power.

My next thought is it might be injectors. This car has a throttle body with two injectors. What I have to do to drive without sputtering down the road is accelerate very fast to the speed I want, then coast until I lose 5 or 10 mph, then give it the gas real hard until i get back up to speed and then coast again.

It kind of seems like one of the injectors might not be doing it's job due to the fact that when I give it a lot of gas and it needs to use both injectors its fine, but when I smooth out and try to hold a constant speed and only the primary injector is needed it sputters. (My logic of how the injectors work and when in this throttle body may be very wrong.. I said I knew enough to be dangerous)

If anyone has any (helpful) opinions on what might be wrong or what else I should check before shelling out money for new parts that may or may not fix the problem I would really appreciate it.

Oh.. almost forgot.. When the car is cold and I start it it skips and sputters very badly until it warms up. It idles very nice after its warm.. doesn't overheat..accelerates fine until you get into higher rpm's (4500 or so) then it skips and sputters unless you put your foot on the floor.

I know there are some honda ppl out there who know exactly what is wrong. Show me how much you know about Honda's and save me some time and money and possibly a long walk in the snow when it finally does take a diveFuel questions for 91 civic 1.5 liter?
Apart from anything else, those cars were known for defective %26quot;ignitors%26quot; which is called an ignition module on many other cars. Many cars of that vintage probably had a new distributor installed by now which may be the best way to get a new ignitor. Then you'll know it's not an ignition problem. The distributors also failed due to bad bearings. Never crank your engine with any spark plug wires disconnected or the cap removed. You can blow out the ignitor and coil.Fuel questions for 91 civic 1.5 liter?
Remove all four plugs and inspect for signs of a lean setting or a rich setting in regards to fuel flow.