Thursday, September 22, 2011

Oldsmobile 88 project?

I just got a new car yesterday that will replace the one my dad gave me. It was a 1994 oldsmobile 88 that encountered some apparent ignition problem, it drives but stalls randomly on the road no misfire but as if a kill-switch was thrown,but starts right back up again, never over bumps or high speed and mostly during slow right hand turns and gets progressively worse as the fuel tank gets lower. Also the idle bounces sometimes. I have replaced everything in the car except the steering column, ignition, and the transmission. The engine,ecu,fuel injectors, coil pack, all sensors, vacuum hoses, plug wires, plugs, fuel pumps have been replaced.



For now the car has just been sitting and i came across an idea for it. The car reminded me of one of the larger sedan muscle cars, and the gears started to turn in my head. I was thinking that i can use the shell of the car as a project. There is plenty of room under the hood for a carbureted, computer independent, v8 but my question is how do i mount it, the transmission, and the rear differential, do i have to lift the car(raised suspension) to fit the tranny and diff. The floor pan of the car is not flat, it has a rather large channel straight down the middle for the exhaust. the gas tank hangs pretty low where the diff will go but i can fabricate a new one(i'll find a place to put on, mabey it and a tube frame in or below the trunk?) should i use leaf springs for the back, will that make it easier.Will i have problems with the steering column . i can easily mount and make a custom exhaust with headers. I will make other changes to the car to give if a totally unique, new era muscle look( round headlights,custom hood and paint).



Please, if you don't have an answer please don't write telling me i can't, it's not worth it, it won't be road legal. I have made up my mind that this is what i want. Please, just give this problem your best shot, and lets keep this educational.



Like i put in all my questions, do not turn this into a tuner muscle war, it happens in way to many of these.



P.S. I will be using toggle switches not a key for the ignition so don't worry about that. To do this i will probably get a donor car of similar dimensionsOldsmobile 88 project?
If you have looked under the car you will see that the only way that this can be done is to remove the olds body and place it on a chevy truck frame so that everything will fit...the undercarriage of the olds is too flat to do anything with.......