Thursday, June 2, 2011

How hard is it to change the Crank Sensor on my 93 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 v8?

Ouch, just saying it all hurts. I've narrowed my problem down to the cam position sensor. Could be fuel injectors but not all of em at once right? Pressure at the fuel rail, starts with gas poured in the intake. So I'm down to the cam pos. sensor. Do I really have to take the fly wheel off? Is that were it's at?How hard is it to change the Crank Sensor on my 93 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 v8?
I hate to correct someone, but James B is incorrect. The crankshaft position sensor on a Grand Cherokee is on the back of the engine and is kind of cumbersome to get to. No you don't have to pull the flywheel to change it. You may need to remove the crossmember to let the transmission drop down a little to get to it. It bolts in through the top of the transmission, just behind the engine on the driver side.



The camshaft position sensor is indeed inside of the distributor. I would be more suspect of the crankshaft position sensor than I would the cam sensor. I don't think it would start with fuel poured in the throttle body if your cam sensor had failed.How hard is it to change the Crank Sensor on my 93 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 v8?
The camshaft position sensor, or CMP sensor is located inside the distributor. The crank sensor is on front of engine behind crank pulley.